Wednesday, October 15, 2008

written test to get Bruneian citizenship

Dad was spring-cleaning his room and found this useful guide "Kurikulum Kertas Ujian Bertulis Bahasa Melayu". It was published in March 2004 by the Immigration and National Registrar Department, Ministry of Home Affairs.

Under the Akta Taraf Kebangsaan Brunei Penggal 15, Peraturan Taraf Kebangsaan (Lembaga Bahasa) [di bawah Peraturan 9 (3)], in order to apply for Bruneian citizenship, he or she must sit for a Malay written test.

Though I have never been through this test, but I really pity the not-so-educated candidates. Five sections are being tested, namely:

Section 1 - writing a composition
Section 2 - comprehension
Section 3 - Grammar & Bahasa Brunei (Perambahan & Bahasa Dalam) & Pantun
Section 4 - general description
Section 5 - knowledge on Brunei (MIB Philosophy, system of governance, national flag and personal flags, history, royal regalia, national anthem, customs and culture of Bruneian Malay, traditional songs and dance, geography and international relations)

The last section sounds very interesting to me, and I will post some articles on these.

p/s: I am really lucky and grateful that my citizenship was granted through bab 6 (1). If not, I would have to sit for this exam.

No comments: